Skip to main content

PILGRIM ARCHERS

Ingatestone's friendly Archery Club
HOME
About Us
Club News
Calender
Club Forms
Results
Archery
Whit - Shoot
1 - Details
2 - Entry Form
3 - Target List
4 - Directions
5 - Results
Child Protection
Contact Us
Site Map
ARCHERY COURSE
PHOTO GALLERY

The Pilgrim Archers  58th WHIT SHOOT  15th May, 2016 

Venue: Belhus Woods Country Park, Averly

by kind permission of West Essex Bowmen

Lady Paramount: Mrs Janet Smith

Chairman of Judges: Mr Mick Pearce   Judge: Mrs Maggie Pearce

 

  WHERE TO FIND:

 

Click on tabs (left) for Information, Entry Forms and directions.

  

************************************************

 I will leave the following brief "potted history" of our tournament (published in 2008) for those new archers who might be interested in reading it.

 

The club THE PILGRIM ARCHERS was established in 1953 and celebrated their 50th anniversary in 2003.  In 1958 the club introduced an annual "Invitation" tournament called the "WHIT SHOOT".  Not surprisingly, the title came from the fact that it was always held on Whit Sundays.  Unfortunately, this was a floating date and began to cause clashes as the Essex diary became more busy.   To solve this problem, quite a number of years ago, the ECAA decided to allot Sunday numbers to club shoots and ours became the 20th Sunday in the year.

 

In the early days our tournament was an AMERICAN round for senior recurve archers only, with a team of five archers, named in advance of the shoot.  Our original club ground was at the London University's Sports Ground (Queen Mary's College) at Little Dytchleys, Coxtie Green Road, Brentwood - a lovely venue!  The club celebrated their 25th anniversary there and introduced a Married Couples trophy (which Tom made).  In that year we also changed the round to all the WESTERNS so that we could accommodate all family members and other disciplines.   At some time after the 25th anniversary we changed the make up of teams to be four, and did not ask that the archers be named in advance, as previously.  Instead, the top four scores were used to determine the team from each club where more than four archers were taking part - still shooting recurve in the Long Western round.

 

In about 1990 The University sold their ground and we were obliged to find a new home.  There seemed to be nothing suitable available that we could afford and we were glad to accept Queen Mary's invitation to use their ground at Theydon Bois, where we remained for about ten years.  This too was a really nice ground and we stored the ECAA's equipment there and hosted their championships for a number of years. 

 

When this ground was put up for sale we were once again on the move.  After much searching, and on the kind recommendation of Colin Wooff, we approached the Anglo European School in Ingatestone.  They were most agreeable and we moved there at the beginning of 2000, and are happy there to this day.  Unfortunately, however, the ground is not sufficiently large to stage our annual tournament.  Holdens very kindly offered their ground for hire for about the first three years, after which we accepted West Essex Bowmen's kind offer to use their facilities, where we have held our tournament to the present day.

 Iris Major - 30th January, 2012